Joint IGeLU/ELUNA Linked Open Data SIWG
July 2013 (Under Review)
Mission, means and procedures
Objective of the Linked Open Data Special Interest Working Group is to achieve essential linked open data features in all Ex Libris products where appropriate, both from the data publishing, the data consuming and the data integration perspective. See the Manifesto for Linked Open Data in Ex Libris products.
Use cases and scenarios are the main instruments for supporting communication between customers and Ex Libris, as is described in the Linked Open Data and Ex Libris Products: Visions, Use Cases, Requirements – An open draft document.
The group aims to achieve it’s objective through monthly calls with Ex Libris, liaisons with IGeLU and ELUNA Product Working Groups with regard to enhancements, and through discussion of architecture and strategy.
All interested staff members of all Ex Libris customers (not only IGeLU or ELUNA members) and Ex Libris staff can participate in discussions about and submit use cases and scenarios for the use of Linked Open Data in Ex Libris Products.
Communication in this wider community takes place on the general IGeLU/ELUNA LOD mailing list, and in monthly calls between Ex Libris and customers.
Tasks and responsibilities
- Maintain the Open Draft Document
- Collect use cases and scenarios
- Maintain and coordinate list of use cases and scenarios
- Coordinate selection of scenario to be discussed in monthly open calls
- Coordinate and organise monthly open calls
- Communication with Ex Libris
- Communication with IGeLU and ELUNA Steering Committees
- Communication with IGeLU and ELUNA PWGs
- Communication with third parties
- Coordinate/communicate LOD enhancement procedures
- Manage open mailing list
- Manage and edit websites LOD SIWG sections
- >Organise LOD programme for annual IGeLU and ELUNA conferences
The roles of Coordinator and Deputy Coordinator have a formal status. They serve as official representatives and contacts with the User Group Steering Committees and Ex Libris. They are expected to attend the regular User Group officials conference calls and face-to-face meetings at the annual conferences. All other roles are less formal and may be shared among members of the Working Body.
- Coordinator (alternating IGeLU/ELUNA)
- Responsible for communication with Ex Libris and Steering Committees and overall coordination
- Deputy coordinator (alternating IGeLU/ELUNA)
- Supports and replaces Coordinator in communication with Ex Libris and Steering Committees and overall coordination
- Communications officers
- Responsible for coordination and management of communication with customers via mailing list, websites, etc.
- Scenario coordinators
- Monitor the mailing list, identify possible scenarios, merge/dedup and publish on EL Commons, help prepare for presentation
- Enhancement coordinators/PWG liaisons
- Coordinate communication about feasible LOD enhancements with Ex Libris and the PWGs
- Conference programme coordinators
- Responsible for organising SIWG “Business meetings” and coordinating customer LOD presentations at IGeLu and ELUNA annual conferences, in cooperation with the Coordinator and Deputy coordinator
Only IGeLU and ELUNA member staff can participate in the Working Body of the joint IGeLU/ELUNA LOD SIWG. The tasks of this Working Body consist mainly of coordination, communication and organisation. The Working Body communicates internally using a closed mailing list and closed calls.
IGeLU and ELUNA should be equally represented in the Working Body as much as possible. IGeLU and ELUNA should be represented by no fewer than 3 working body members at any given time.
There are separate selection procedures for Coordinator and Deputy Coordinator on the one hand, and other Working Body members on the other.
Coordinator/Deputy Coordinator procedure
The Coordinator and the Deputy Coordinator should represent different user groups (one from IGeLU, the other from ELUNA). The Coordinator and the Deputy Coordinator serve for a two year term. There is no maximum number of terms for any Coordinator or Deputy Coordinator.
The current Deputy Coordinator will automatically succeed as Coordinator after the term of the current Coordinator ends, unless the Deputy Coordinator declines.
If the Deputy Coordinator accepts the Coordinator position for the next term, then a new Deputy Coordinator has to be appointed. All IGeLU and ELUNA member staff can volunteer for the position of Deputy Coordinator, also current Working Body members and the previous Coordinator, but only if they represent the User Group whose turn it is to provide the Deputy Coordinator.
If the Deputy Coordinator does not accept the Coordinator position for the next term, then both a new Coordinator and Deputy Coordinator have to be appointed. Both need to represent the other User Group than the one that the previous Coordinator and Deputy Coordinator were affiliated with. In this case all IGeLU and ELUNA member staff can volunteer for the position of Coordinator and Deputy Coordinator, also current Working Body members, but only if they represent the User Group whose turn it is to provide the Coordinator and Deputy Coordinator.If there are more than one candidate for the positions of Coordinator and/or Deputy Coordinator, a formal election will be organised.
Working body procedure
Working body members can serve for a term of two years, or longer if no new candidates come forward.
Working body members can at any time volunteer for a subsequent term.
There is no maximum number of terms for any working body member.
All IGeLU and ELUNA member staff can volunteer for SIWG Working Body membership. If there are more candidates than the total number of vacant positions, a formal election can be organised.
The total number of Working Body members can be determined and changed by the current Working Body any time. Initially the maximum number of Working Body members will be set at 10. It is the intention to have an equal division of Working Body members from IGeLU and ELUNA.
For the sake of continuity every other year half of the members can be replaced; the old Coordinator can stay on as member.
All IGeLU and ELUNA member institutions must be able to vote if elections are to be held for Coordinator, Deputy Coordinator or Working Body positions. Therefore elections will be organised online and independently of annual conferences.
All IGeLU and ELUNA member institutions can vote for all candidates, irrespective of their User Group affiliation.
For the Coordinator and Deputy Coordinator positions every IGeLU and ELUNA member institution will have one vote per position.
For the other Working Body positions every IGeLU and ELUNA member institution will have one vote for an IGeLU candidate and one vote for an ELUNA candidate.